My Likes Sites of the Week!

My Likes Lets You Promote the Sites YOU Use Everyday and Get Paid for it! Check Out My Likes and click on the invite link below to get started yourself!


Your Invite to MYLikes is Here


Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Is There a Social Media Overkill? How Much IS Too Much?

I have a lot of sites that push my voiceover business to my main site at http://justinphillips.us – I am experimenting with some different blogging websites in an effort to expand my voiceover reach via different search engines. (consider it my way of taking over the world.) Of course my main site, listed above, also has links to my Facebook, Voices.com, and other pages in the internet universe, but I often ask myself how much is TOO much. The answer, at least, for me right now is ‘I can’t have too much’ – in trying to build a business around my voiceovers. If I created an online business card it would have more than six links to my various sites, which I know is overkill. With all this ‘web technology’ I need to figure out what works best for me.

For example, on Twitter I am justinphillips – this is my personal account. I also have the handle jpvoice – as a voiceover account then there is the On The Air Productions by Justin Phillips account – otaproductions and another account at ontheairprod. I know you are confused, but probably not as confused as I am. Some of these accounts were created for the purpose of trial and error and a few have been taken out of the ‘Twitter Timeline.’

Fortunately, Twitter is really the only site that I have more than two accounts. I have one account on Facebook – I haven’t gone as far as created a ‘Fan page’ yet for On The Air Productions, but am considering it. Many of my ‘friends’ on Facebook that I follow outside of family and several business associates are people within the voiceover community. I have to be honest I don’t really engage many of them in conversation, I just catch their updates as far as what they are doing and occasionally comment.

I keep hearing about engaging with people which I need to do more of and I know this.

My question for you is how much IS too much? and the even scarier question – Will there be a point where 6 links on a business card is considered ‘the norm’ – if so I’m ahead of a lot of people.

 

--Justin Phillips

On The Air Productions

ontheairproductions@live.com

3 comments:

  1. Hi Justin:

    If I might, a better question might be what are my social media goals/objectives for my business.

    - Financial
    - Branding
    - Just general awareness that exist

    All of that needs to be a part of your business' marketing plan.

    Also know that what ever direction you go in, people will develop a perception of you via these tools. They will decide whether what you say is worth following.

    While followers truly are not that important to success, it's not a bad small indicator if what you are tweeting or posting doesn't seem to get people's interest enough to the point where they follow you. While the "right" followers are more important that the "most" followers, if you develop only a few followers, people aren't interested in what you're saying.

    No big deal, alter your message a bit. That's what marketing is all about.

    Best always,
    - Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin:

    If I might, a better question might be what are my social media goals/objectives for my business.

    - Financial
    - Branding
    - Just general awareness that exist

    All of that needs to be a part of your business' marketing plan.

    Also know that what ever direction you go in, people will develop a perception of you via these tools. They will decide whether what you say is worth following.

    While followers truly are not that important to success, it's not a bad small indicator if what you are tweeting or posting doesn't seem to get people's interest enough to the point where they follow you. While the "right" followers are more important that the "most" followers, if you develop only a few followers, people aren't interested in what you're saying.

    No big deal, alter your message a bit. That's what marketing is all about.

    Best always,
    - Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. It is interesting to read comments.Massage In Natic

    ReplyDelete